Free Plone Sites
Openia is proud to support the Plone community and product by providing you with Free Plone hosting so that you can have a chance to play, and/or if you are a small organisation that is non-commercial, you can have the hosting for an unlimited time, be our guest.
Openia offers a limited FreePlone hosting services to qualifying non-commercial organisations. Our FreePlone service uses Plone version 3.2. For other versions of Plone, see our other Plone hosting options, including our new Plone 4 Hosting.
Your own FREE Zope/Plone folder to do whatever you want with, 10MB of space, 1Gb of transfers. For non-commercial use only.
Your free site will be hosted on a URL similar to:
If you just want to try Plone, please be aware that you might be better advised to try it out on your own computer as a standalone installation first. Our hosting is aimed at users who have progressed beyond the basics and are ready to create a useful public site. Please look at http://zope.org and http://plone.org for details of how to install Zope/Plone on your desktop.
We are now pleased to report that we are now offering Plone 3.2, in addition to the existing Plone 2.1. Just make your selection on our on-line application form
Aternately, Openia offers the latest in Plone 4 hosting at very competitive prices:
Terms and Conditions
- Subject to availability
- For non-commercial use only
- If you no longer require the site you agree to tell us so that we may delete it. We will email you every six months to ask whether the site is still actively needed. If you fail to respond to the email within 1 month your site will be deleted.
- You will not be able to develop your own Plone products. Please contact us to arrange commercial Plone hosting if that is your wish.
- You will not be able to install any Plone products. We will consider requests to install Products, but our time is limited. We will look more favourably on your request if:
- you only request ONE product
- your Product is NOT an alpha or a beta release or a release candidate.
- your Product is SIMPLE to install
- you supply us the link DIRECT to the .tgz file
- your Product is likely to be of USE to other Freeploners
- We do not offer any databasing facilities for Freeplone sites, e.g. MySQL or Postgres. This also means that we will not install any Products that rely on the use of a database. Please note that this specifically rules out zForum.
- You do not get access to the Root Folder of the Zope instance (for obvious reasons!).This means it is impossible to:
- export your Plone Site (because once you have developed it, we would like to hold onto you), and
- import a Plone Site you have developed elsewhere.
- You will not proxy a domain name onto the site, and neither will we. This means that you cannot alter the domain name of your site, or get rid of the 'http://freeploneN.openia.com' bit at the beginning.
- Each page contains a link to http://www.openia.com and mentions 'Free Plone hosting by Openia'. This happens anyway and cannot be removed.
- Not to be used for hosting pornographic material of any variety, or material suitable for viewing only by over 18's, or of an inflammatory or prejudicial nature. Any site we deem inappropriate will be deleted, and Openia's decision will be final.
- Openia may change these terms and conditions at any time.
We hope you will enjoy using your free plone site and will learn all about this new and exciting technology.